The Miracle Jar.
You’ve probably experienced the joys of cooking with coconut oil. But this versatile, yummy, healthy oil is your one-stop-jar for so much more than healthy popcorn or sautéed vegetables.
First – how to buy it. Look for organic, fresh-pressed virgin (unrefined) coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil maintains a higher level of antioxidants and lauric acid – lauric acid from coconut oil is a strong antimicrobial component. And pay no attention to virgin vs. extra virgin on the label. In the world of unrefined coconut oil there is no such thing as “extra virgin” as there is with olive oil. It’s all marketing and no fact! Stay away from hydrogenated, liquid or any kind of refined coconut oil.
So what else is coconut oil good for besides cooking? Let us count the ways!
- Moisturize yourself. On your face, on your body, on those precious yoga toes. Coconut oil is full of antimicrobial goodness that can help your skin heal itself. The vitamins and healthy fats in coconut oil help to nourish and plump your skin as well. No need to spend big bucks on those super-specialized, highly intensive moisturizing lotions at the drug store. Got cracked heels? Coconut oil. Got dry elbows? Coconut oil. Got chapped lips? Coconut oil. Get a sunburn? Coconut oil. You get the picture.
- Dry hair, split-ends, spent all summer in the sun (wear sunscreen!) hair – use coconut oil as a deep conditioning hair mask. Massage a little into the ends of your hair and leave overnight. Have a little dandruff to deal with? Massage coconut oil into your scalp before bed and wash out in the morning.
- No more panda eyes in the morning! Use a tiny dab of coconut oil to remove your eye makeup. Waterproof? Doesn’t stand a chance.
- Mix coconut oil with brown sugar for a completely natural body scrub. Lumps, bumps and dead skin cells will slough off in favor of soft, supple, touchable skin.
- Massage coconut oil into your cuticles and on your nails (don’t forget your toes) before bed. Try to give the nail polish a break every now and then, ladies.
- Add a spoonful of coconut oil to your bath for a nourishing and moisturizing bath-time.
- Shave your legs! Ditch the soap and breakup with the expensive, specially branded, chemical-filled “shaving creams” – all you need is a little dab of coconut oil and a razor.